Recruiters, HR people and anyone who has ever interviewed some has been apart of Interviewing Mistakes. I gathered a list of interviewing backfires that I was involved with.
– A candidate is interviewing with a hiring manger and when he was asked about a time he had to work with difficult people at work what did he do. The candidate replies ” Well we had a #$%@& in our office and everyone hated her but I was able to get along with her. ”
– Lying on your resume. Big no no. When a candidate was asked specific questions about certain technologies on his resume. The candidate admits well they had it at the office but he never used it.
– You send a thank you note with the wrong company attached to the note.
– I was interviewing a potential candidate and I asked a questions only to be told ” You already asked that before.”
– When you are asked to tell the Hiring Manager about a time that you used your specific experience, like what is in your resume, to solve a problem. After about 5 minutes you reply ” I don’t think I have any experience like that.”
– I had a candidate who had an interview and brought her kids to the interview and made them wait in the waiting area.
– A Customer Service Representative was asked about her customer service skills replies “I do not like to talk to people.”
– A candidate comes to the interview wearing so much perfume the Hiring Manager had to seek medical treatment from the fumes. A note on wearing perfume in interviews was sent to the recruiting company shortly there after.
I am sure that given the chance to talk or dress differently they would definitely choose differently. Sometimes nerves get the best of us.
If you have your own story please send it to me. firstname.lastname@example.org